2007-11-22

Feed Finding. or How to Lose Your Social Life Within 72 Hours

I started this whole thing with about a million feeds, so finding new ones from the list of recommended sites was not exactly what I would call enjoyable. Nevertheless, I dove in and played around a bit. Of the four, only Technorati was really worth the effort. Topix had the local fix, but lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. I couldn't get any of Syndic8's links to work (perhaps a result of poor network speed or some other X Factor) and poor Feedster seems to be locked in perpetual beta testing.

They all seem to do similar things, though. Find cool stuff for you. Not like Google, which tends to find Wikipedia. Technorati's beauty lies in movement. It changes right before your eyes, lending a sense of urgency to what would otherwise be a mundane quest. YouTube does the same thing, but is focused solely on videos. Including this little gem. Which I found thanks to Technorati.

Funny how things work.

Actively searching for feeds is not how I've become the diseased specimen you see before you, however. I've contracted most of them virally, because they were mentioned or linked to in a blog I was already reading. Click-click, and I've got another digital contagion. By the way, you should check out Questionable Content.

Someone told me I should delete some feeds. Not a bad idea, but what if one day I want to know just what is going on in Israel?

Enough links for now, neh?

1 comment:

Matthew R said...

Technorati for me too. I appreciate all the links though it took me two hours to get to the end of your post. I've seen some of the Huck-Chuck Youtube plugs and I have to wonder "Is it real or have I entered an alternate dimension?". Especially Chuck's knock-out punch. I'm flattened every time.