2007-11-14

7 1/2 Habits

Yeah. Just getting around to typing this while at the circulation desk. Not the easiest prospect in the world, mind you. I was interrupted three times while typing the first sentence, and another three while typing this one!

I'd better get on with it, then.

So, I watched the 15 minute video about the 7 1/2 habits of lifelong learning, courtesy of the Charlotte & Mecklenburg Library. Now I'm supposed to identify which of the habits is the easiest and which is the hardest.

Easy: Habit 7.5 - Play! I mean, c'mon. I refer to gadgets as "toys". Give me a new phone, or program, or whatever, and I want to "play around" with it to see how it works. I use those exact words. Take blogging, for instance. My first actual blog was just a goof. Funny pictures I found in newspapers with a silly title. No real commentary. Just fun. Same thing with the circulation program at work. Just clicked on buttons to see what they do. Especially if I was told not to.

More coming soon. Gotta jet.

UPDATE: I now have a few minutes to squeeze the rest of this post. I'm holed up in the book return room. As long as no one calls...

Okay, the hardest thing: nuts! Left the notepad on my desk. Oh, well. A minor inconvenience.

I've always had trouble with goals. When I was a kid, The Man said I needed goals, but I never could quite nail them down. I was seven! I wanted to be an astronaut cowboy firefighter or something. My objectives these days tend to be limited. Things like, say, make it to the end of the work day. Finish the adventure for Thursday's session of Dungeons & Dragons. Put the controller down and go to sleep (always a tough one). Long term? Meh, I just want to retire comfortably. On some tropical island. But that is a goal, isn't it? Huh, maybe this isn't so hard, after all.

Oh, I still want to go to space, but these days it takes a lot of money to be a cosmonaut.

No comments: